made in the year 1957
tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going
to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $20."
- "Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be
long before $2000 will only buy a used one."
- "If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. A
quarter a pack is ridiculous."
- "Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging a
dime just to mail a letter?"
- "If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobody will be able to
hire outside help at the store."
- "When I first started driving, who would have thought gas
would someday cost 29 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off
leaving the car in the garage."
- "Kids today are impossible. Those duck tail hair cuts make it
impossible to stay groomed. Next thing you know, boys will be wearing
their hair as long as the girls!"
- "I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more. Ever since
they let Clark Gable get by with saying 'damn' in 'Gone With The
Wind,' it seems every new movie has either "hell" or
"damn" in it."
- "I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's
possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century. They
even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in
- "Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract
for $75,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if
someday they'll be making more than the president."
- "I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances
would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters
- "It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few
married women are having to work to make ends meet."
- "It won't be long before young couples are going to have to
hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work."
- "Marriage doesn't mean a thing any more; those Hollywood stars
seem to be getting divorced at the drop of a hat."
- "I'm just afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door
to a whole lot of foreign business."
- "Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the
Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we
are electing the best people to congress."
- "The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I
seriously doubt they will ever catch on."
- "There is no sense going to Lincoln or Omaha anymore for a
weekend. It costs nearly $15 a night to stay in a hotel."
- "No one can afford to be sick any more; $35 a day in the
hospital is too rich for my blood."
- "If they think I'll pay 50 cents for a hair cut, forget
If you know of
any more sayings from the 50's, E-Mail
them to us and we'll post them.
you arrived at this page while surfing the web
click here to view all pages: DixieDrifter.com